Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Craving Chocolate??

Try Magnesium!  From what I understand, thus far, my chocolate cravings may be an indication of a magnesium deficiency.  Who knew?! I crave chocolate when I'm tired, or when I'm coming up on my cycle, or just because.


So magnesium capsules are better than the tablets (seems to be the case with most vitamins); but you can also get more magnesium in your diet from the foods you eat.  Foods containing the highest levels of magnesium are dark green, leafy vegetables such as spinach and even broccoli. Some more good sources are:
* Fruits or vegetables (such as bananas, dried apricots, and avocados)
* Nuts (such as almonds and cashews)
* Peas and beans (legumes), seeds

* Soy products (such as soy flour and tofu)
* Whole grains (such as brown rice and millet)
This info comes from the website http://magnesiumrichfoods.com/. They break down the exact amounts found in each food, as stated by the USDA, on their website.  
Increasing magnesium can help with muscle twitching and pain, constipation, and tiredness.  Magnesium is also required for the body to digest calcium.   I've found that magnesium also helps me rest better and fall asleep better at night.  Try it, see if it works for you!

No comments: